These facts were presented in Parliament, so that makes them more believable than most conspiracy theories… In a nutshell, Qantas is deliberately taking on the costs of their Jetstar subsidiary, because it is something they can sell one day, for a good price if it looks profitable. Qantas itself is required by law to stay in Aussie hands. These are the words of Senator Xenophon last August:
- In Melbourne, for example, my information from inside the Qantas group is that Jetstar does not pay for any gates, but instead Qantas domestic is charged for the gates.
- Why does Qantas lease five check-in counters at Sydney Terminal 2, only to let Jetstar use one for free?
- I am told Qantas’s legal department also does free work for Jetstar.
- It is extremely rare for a Qantas passenger to be rebooked on a Jetstar flight, but Jetstar passengers are regularly rebooked onto Qantas flights. I am informed that Jetstar never pays Qantas for the cost of those rebooked passengers and yet Jetstar gets to keep the revenue from the original bookings.
- Jetstar passengers can and do use the Qantas Club but Jetstar does not pay for the cost of any of this.
More examples detailed at OzHouse.orgRead More